Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Positively nutty!

Over cookies, that is. I've ever so slightly altered a recipe - okay, I changed it a lot - from Nourishing Traditions. It's Sally Fallon's Almond Cookies on page 528 of the revised second edition of her boat-rocking cookbook if you want the original. When we started changing over to a more organic diet years and years ago, this book led the way, and these cookies restored my faith in gluten-free baked goods. Little did I know that these cookies would continue to rock my world when I needed to completely switch to gluten free. So, without further ado, I give you my altered recipe.

Coconut-Hazelnut Cookies
Take a look at your pantry and stock pile. You will need:
- 1 1/2 cups of hazelnut meal (throw a couple handfuls of soaked and dried hazelnuts into your food processor and blend until they form a meal-y substance)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- half a dropper full of liquid stevia (the sweetener is really to taste, too much stevia can taste, umm..., nasty)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract

Set the oven to 300 degrees (Fahrenheit). Put everything into your food processor and set to, 'go.' Blend it until everything is thoroughly mixed. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. After the goodness has slightly cooled, you may remove from the cookie sheet and enjoy. :) You'll have to store them in the refrigerator if you don't consume all of them in one sitting. Makes about 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment