Monday, August 15, 2011

Designing

Last year, I blogged about an upcoming ball - Victoria and Albert. I wanted to make her yellow dress from her coronation ball, but there was a minor problem - I can't wear yellow. And the design of that dress is a bit young for me too...

Faced with my dilemma, I needed to draw inspiration from somewhere else. While browsing on my sisters' book shelves, I found a coloring book. This coloring book to be exact:


I found different skirts and bodices that I really liked, but nothing ever really struck that 'magic' chord. I was able to pull bits and pieces from different dresses, but I would have to get at least five different patterns to get the separate parts for just the bodice. Then a friend showed a pattern to me: the 1860's ball gown bodice by Truly Victorian. It was the closest to perfect it could get. And it would work with the skirt that I really liked! So, without further ado, I give you:
The sketch for my ball gown!
I'm going to the fabric store this afternoon to seek inspiration for colors and embellishments. This is going to be fun! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment