Monday, August 18, 2014

Herb Garden: Building the Pergola

Funny how a kink in your back will stop you in your tracks. With all the gardening that I've been doing - rather... dirt moving, rock hauling, sand shuffling, more dirt moving, compost mixing, etc... my back has decided that it's time to see the chiropractor. ;) So, while I'm giving my back a break, I'll catch you up, step by step, of all that we've been doing to the latest addition to the property - the herb garden! 

I've been scheming and planning for years, and all those thoughts and ideas have jumped from paper into the real realm. The herb garden is actually going in! 

But first things first. Gotta get that hardscaping in. Don't want to run over your plants with a tractor. ;) 
So Dad graded the plot with the tractor, then he and Jake built a pergola. And quite the lovely pergola at that. 
Some friends of ours wanted to come out and help on the farm, so we put them to work with the floor. They leveled everything out, put sand down, leveled that out, figured out the brick pattern, and went to town with it all. Honestly though, the most tedious part of paver laying is the prep work. Once you get going though, the pace picks up. Until you run out of bricks. Which happened just a few rows shy of the entire floor. Back to the home improvement store we went!
Where was I in all of this? 
At my job. 
Otherwise I would have been working in the garden. That's where you'll find me these days. ^_^ 
They did a mighty fine job, if I do say so myself. :) 

Next up - Retaining wall!

Until next time!
SG

No comments:

Post a Comment