Sunday, August 16, 2009

Time Does Fly...

It feels like yesturday I was looking at the calender thinking how long and wonderful summer was going to be. Let's just say I blinked before I could catch myself. I thought that I would have all the time in the world to get some reading done, sewing projects completed, craft room organized again (honestly, you can never organize things enough!), complete all the requirements on my NARHA certification... yeah, the workshop/training session is only a couple weeks away, and I don't even really know where to begin... I've read the horsemanship manual through level 3, but Level 4 is huge... I need to become a member, get 25 hours of teaching in (I probably won't even be able to get 5...), and so much more! What happened to my summer?! Oh, yeah... I've been camp counselor, gardening, traveling, quilting, etc... The camp counselor thing has taken up 4 weeks so far and I have another to go... But I wouldn't trade the time spent for anything else.

I've thoroughly enjoyed every moment of the camp counselor thing (and I have my share of stories, believe me! =D) Like in the camp from last week, one of the boys was commenting on how he's at a highschool reading level. So, being homeschooled, I had to ask him what he's read that places him in that level. He named some books off but all of them were contemorary/modern novels that I wouldn't really count as anything worth reading (like The Davinci Code, which was one of the books that he named off). I asked if he had read any Homer, Dickens, Austen, Emmerson, Steinbeck etc. (I've read these authors and more in a lit class that I took from an amazing teacher. Go read some classics and original works! You'll be amazed at some of the treasures that you can find in them!) The little boy said that he hadn't read any of those (My bad! He's in the public school system. Not to really dis on the public schools, but you lower your standards when it comes to whatever comes out of those prison cells)... So I said that he wasn't really in the "highschool level" (Publis schools... what legacy is America leaving her children? Not a good one). We started mildly arguing about it (leave it to me to make anything an arguement... bad habit...) and he finally said "Okay, I'll be the big person here and not argue with you." Ouch. He's going to be entering middle school very soon. Let's just say that I was dying from laughter from that!

No comments:

Post a Comment